I haven’t used hairspray for several years now except on that rare occasion a friend does my hair. 🙂 I love having my hair played with… don’t you?
Anyways, so a friend was over and looking for some hairspray… sadly I had to tell her I had none because I don’t use it. So I got online and searched for a homemade recipe and I basically found 2 recipes that I combined to form my own. It didn’t take too long to make, the longest part is waiting for the water to boil down, and then we had…. Homemade Hairspray!!! Now I use it quite a bit because I love the feel and it has a great hold (my boyfriend absolutely loves this stuff, he says it’s perfect for his hair… I’m sure he loves that I’m sharing this with you all). Oh and did I mention it’s so cheap to make?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!
- 1 lemon for light hair or 1 orange for dark hair
- 2 cups water
- 2-4T sugar (I use 2-3)
- 10 drops Essential Oil (I used Peppermint or Lavender)
- 1/2 teaspoon alcohol (any clear drinking alcohol will work too, use sparingly as it will dry the hair, I don’t use this)
- Put water on to boil
- Cut lemon/orange into wedges (I do 6)
- Add lemon/orange wedges to water
- Boil over medium heat until you are left with half the water you started with (about 1 cup)
- Strain liquid into glass measuring cup and add sugar (I used 3T, but use less for less hold, and more for stronger hold)
- Allow to cool
- Add essential oil
- Funnel into a spray bottle and gently shake before use *Make sure it is a FINE MIST sprayer bottle and store in the fridge unless you used the alcohol 😦 I know, but I don’t mind it at all, I love knowing that I’m not breathing in crazy chemicals that are extremely harmful.
Here is 1 cup/ 8 0z of liquid hairspray for about $1 depending on how much your fruit is, but wow! right?
How much do you pay for your hairspray? Does it dry out your hair? Try this one your hair will love you! Next time I’m going to try using strongly brewed chamomile tea as my water as it’s good for lightening hair. 🙂
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 drops essential oils
- Combine water and seeds in pot and bring to a boil
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 30 minutes
- Strain into jar and add essential oils
- Use as you would any hair gel
*I haven’t had a chance to test this one